On Sunday, 23 June 2024 23:37:15 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > On Sunday, 23 June 2024 13:19:18 BST Dale wrote:
> >> That's my thinking.  The only benefit to reinstalling is correcting the
> >> partition boo boo.
> >
> > What in particular are you referring to?  I thought you created an ESP, /
> > and /home partitions, if I recall.
>
> I was thinking the EFI partition, ef02, and /boot were the same
> partition.  I only created one that was huge.  I made the ef02 partition
> 8GBs I think when 8MBs would have been more than enough from what I've
> read.

OK, the "EFI System Partition" is type ef00.  You need this partition type to
be able to boot a UEFI MoBo using its (BIOS) firmware.  This is where GRUB, or
any other boot manager will install its UEFI executable image.

ef02 is the partition code type for the "BIOS Boot Partition".  You do NOT
need one of these, since you are not trying to boot a GPT disk on a legacy
BIOS MoBo.

Your new /boot partition can be a normal linux partition, type 8300 and you
can format this as ext2/3/4, or whatever GRUB can read.

> I kinda like /boot on its own partition.  If /boot gets corrupted
> somehow, I can get the kernel and config again from /usr/src/linux.
> Building the init thingy again is trivial.  So is reinstalling grub.  If
> I were to lose root somehow, I'd have to reinstall but I got the kernel
> and its config file.  It ain't much but it's something.  As it is, /boot
> is on the same partition as root.  If root goes bad, all is lost, except
> for any backup copies I might have.  If I redo the install, I'd have a
> EFI partition and a separate /boot partition as well.  The EFI would be
> like 8MBs or so and the /boot partition would be ext2 and 8GBs or so.
> Plenty of room for expansion.

I see.  I don't think you need to redo the install.  All you need to do is:

1. Back up the ESP contents, just in case.
2. Shrink the ESP partition, down to a reasonable size.  500M or 1G would be
more than enough.
3. Create a new partition, say ~7G in the space your just freed up, of type
8300.
4. Check if the content of the ESP fs is intact (it should be, but we're
talking about FAT here) and if not reformat as FAT32 and copy over the files
from the ESP backup.
5. Format the new /boot partition and copy over the files from your current /
boot tdirectory to the new /boot partition you created.
6. Adjust your fstab and reboot.

NOTE: The GPT partition numbering order will be messed up, but this does not
alter their functionality.  If it annoys you, then use gdisk to re-order them.

> I saved messages, sddm log and the Xorg log.  Honestly tho, they will be
> different because the live DVD uses the kernel drivers, nouveau, where I
> use Nvidia.  Still, I got them anyway.
>
> Several years ago, I took the CPU cooler off my main rig.  I dunked the
> fin part into some heavy duty cleaner that cleans off dirt and dust.
> They wasn't to bad really since I blow them clean with compressed air
> from my compressor pretty regular.  Still, it looked new when I was
> done.  I used alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the old paste off of the
> base.  The original paste was what came with the CPU I think.  I'm
> pretty sure I put Arctic Silver on the second time.  I can't remember
> the exact amount but it did cool better after a few updates and some
> compiling.  I don't know if it was the fin cleaning or the thermal paste
> or both tho.  I think Arctic Silver is still considered a good brand and
> very good product.  I'm pretty sure it never dries out.  Even some
> cheaper generic brands are quite good.

Ha!  I thought my low temperatures were too good to be true!  The Mobo had
lost its settings (it reminds me I need to replace the CMOS battery) and
consequently the CPU was underclocked.  I reconfigured everything and on a
second run the temperature was cooler, but only by 2-3°C cooler.  Still,
grateful for small mercies.  :-)

> I'm going to compare some data between the Gentoo live DVD and my
> install.  If I don't see something obvious, I'm going to fix my
> partition boo boo with a fresh start.  While at it.  What is the best
> way to wipe the partition data from a m.2 stick?  They not spinning rust
> so don't want to try to dd or use shred on the whole thing.  Doesn't
> gdisk have a wipe partition option?  Curious what you think is the best
> way to do that.  Don't want to shorten the life of my m.2 stick.

In this case do not reinstall.  Most of it, if not all, would be unnecessarily
deleting and rewriting the same data.

gdisk can destroy all the GPT data structures on a disk.  Press x, then z.
However, I suggest you don't this.  Use Gparted to shrink your ESP and add a
new partition for /boot as I explained above.  The focus on sorting out your
graphic card.