Have you tried downloading the EDID from the monitor so it can be loaded as firmware from disk, so the response speed of the monitor isn't a factor?  I had to do that once for a similar reason, but it was so many years ago I don't actually remember the details - in fact it might have been a big glass CRT  monitor where I had to get the edid from off the interwebs somewhere.