John Covici wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jul 2024 09:53:56 -0400,
> Dale wrote:
>> Wols Lists wrote:

>>> Yup. I discovered this. A lot of perl stuff doesn't seem to get
>>> updated in the normal course of updates, and all of a sudden perl
>>> itself gets wedged.
>>>
>>> Bear in mind large chunks of Perl are downloaded from CPAN, and the
>>> eco-system is designed to upgrade them from inside Perl itself, you
>>> can see how things go wrong ...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Wol
>>>

>> I seem to recall having to run that during that upgrade as well.  It
>> reinstalled a lot of packages but it worked.  It's worth trying for sure.
>>
> But don't you do that after the upgrade -- I can't even start the
> upgrade, so how would perl-cleaner help?

I can't recall for sure but I think my problem was different but perl
related.  I had some circular problems with some packages and was
getting some weird error when it failed.  Anyway, I'm almost certain it
was Micheal that recommended running perl-cleaner.  It fixed the perl
problem I had.  I've seen a couple others over the years use it.  I
think perl tends to manage itself fairly well but sometimes, it just
needs a good swift kick.

I think there is a pretend option.  You could try that if there is one
and just see what it says it will do and if you think it is OK.  Or,
post what it says here and see what others think about what it wants to
do if you not sure.

I'm not a perl expert but that command has fixed some odd issues before.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  No monitor today.  They deliver before it gets this late.  It
looks like it missed the truck from the Memphis hub to my local
distribution center.  It shows it is still there, not here.  Maybe
tomorrow.  < me prays >