Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 at 18:49, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2024 10:17, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>>> IMO, only bring out the hammer if you're having a problem.
>> And when you run emerge --update, does that sometimes find nothing to
>> upgrade? No reason why it *should* find something.
>>
>> There's a couple of commands like that that sometimes find nothing to do
>> - emerge --depclean is another.
>>
>> But if you set off all these "do something if there's something needing
>> doing" jobs, you'll always have a clean, up-to-date system.
>>
>> And yes it would be nice if there was a page somewhere in the handbook
>> or similar that said "this is how to keep your system up-to-date, just
>> run these commands every week or so".
> Sure, sometimes there are no updates, even on my unstable system it happens.
>
> And a world update tells you every time that you should run --depclean
> to make sure your system is consistent.
>
> And upgrading certain packages tells you to run other commands after
> updating to make sure your system is consistent. Including perl with
> perl-cleaner.
>
> If you do everything portage tells you to do, you'll have perl-cleaner
> mostly be a pointless waste of time, and if you never run it except
> when asked to, you might be forced to now and then to fix a problem.
> Your chosen solution to this 'dilemma' probably comes down to how
> confident you are when coming up to portage conflicts, no shame either
> way :)
>
> Cheers,
> Arve

What I wish, emerge would spit the information out after it completes
instead of putting fairly important info in some log files somewhere for
a person to go dig and find.  It already tells us we should run
--depclean.  Why can't it tell us when we need to run some python tool,
perl or anything else as well that has been triggered.  I've never seen
emerge tell me to run anything but --depclean or preserved rebuild and
to be honest, if a package isn't used, it likely doesn't hurt anything
that it is still installed.  It's just cruft left behind.  Having a
broken python, perl or some other important package should give us a
notice at the end.  That to me would be more important than running
-depclean.  Running preserved rebuild is important tho.

One thing about it, if it doesn't need to fix anything, I guess it does
nothing.  Might upset a few electrons while checking is all.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)