Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On 7/2/24 7:33 PM, Dale wrote:
>> What I wish, emerge would spit the information out after it completes
>> instead of putting fairly important info in some log files somewhere for
>> a person to go dig and find.  It already tells us we should run
>> --depclean.  Why can't it tell us when we need to run some python tool,
>> perl or anything else as well that has been triggered.  I've never seen
>> emerge tell me to run anything but --depclean or preserved rebuild and
>> to be honest, if a package isn't used, it likely doesn't hurt anything
>> that it is still installed.  It's just cruft left behind.  Having a
>> broken python, perl or some other important package should give us a
>> notice at the end.  That to me would be more important than running
>> -depclean.  Running preserved rebuild is important tho.
>>
>> One thing about it, if it doesn't need to fix anything, I guess it does
>> nothing.  Might upset a few electrons while checking is all.  ;-)
>
> ... but it already does exactly this?
>
> When a package emits a warning in the middle of 50 other packages being
> compiled and installed... portage collects warnings and repeats them at
> the end for you.
>
> It doesn't matter because the package manager already rebuilds pretty
> much all perl modules. Running perl-cleaner is advised "in case portage
> missed something" which probably means "it wasn't part of @world".

All I've ever seen is --depclean and preserved rebuild.  I don't recall
ever seeing anything else.  If a package fails, then it tacks the log
file on the end, sometimes of multiple packages.  To be honest tho, if
it fails, most of the time that isn't useful either.  Usually the actual
error is way up somewhere.  I've never seen anything about perl, python
or that sort of thing before.

It could be that my emerge options are good enough that it doesn't
trigger any of those.  When I had to run perl cleaner a while back tho,
I wish emerge had gave me a hint that it needed to be run if it couldn't
fix it itself.  Then again, it may not have known about it either.

I plan to run it and if it does nothing, at least then I know my system
is set up correctly. It's better than not doing it and having weird
problems that are hard to figure out the cause of.

Dale

:-)  :-)