On 2024-07-07, Jack wrote:

> To how fonts are designed, many if not most modern fonts (such as
> true-type) are specified internally by the commands to draw each
> character, and you request the size in points.  The conversion to how
> many pixels to use is based on the DPI the system thinks is being used
> by the monitor.  Some fonts are actually specified by the Width x
> Height in pixels.  These are bitmap fonts, which often come in sets of
> various sizes.  Fortunately (as far as I can tell) there are fewer and
> fewer bitmap fonts in use any more, as they need to get very larger for
> higher DPI displays.  You can imagine that mixing the two is even more
> likely to lead to confusion and poor looking display, unless you are
> extremely careful.

That's funny, because in my experience the fonts that render poorly are
the non-bitmap ones, and often the best way to get a clear, crisp,
readable text display here is by using bitmap fonts.

Now I'd like to know why are non-bitmap ones so often rendering
poorly. While I've tried to explore settings in the past, I don't think
I've discovered a satisfactory set of settings for non-bitmap. Maybe
some day in the future I'll revisit this...

--
Nuno Silva