On Sunday 18 December 2005 00:42, a tiny voice compelled Richard Fish to
write:
> On 12/17/05, Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Is /dev/dsp actually missing on startup, or just created with the
> > > wrong permissions?
> >
> > Apparently it has the wrong permissions, or so says the message when I
> > start KDE,but if I reset them, next boot they are changed. Either
> > resetting permissions, or doing # udevstart allows me to use /dev/dsp as
> > user but changes don't survive a reboot.
>
> Hmm, /dev/dsp is only necessary for legacy OSS support...it should not
> be necessary with KDE, which _should_ be able to use the ALSA
> interface.  Do you have the alsa USE flag set?

Hmm, no

IIRC, when I first installed on this box, I had to go with oss (nforce2 mobo
w/onboard sound).

> What are the permissions that it is being created with?  (Do "ls -l
> /dev/dsp" from a console after startup without logging into KDE).
>
> > > Are you using a device tarball (RC_DEVICE_TARBALL in /etc/conf.d/rc)?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I would suggest turning TARBALL off.  It is almost certainly not needed
> today.

Turned it off. Let's see

> One possibility is that the device is comfing from the tarball, but
> not being recreated by udev for some reason.  You can check this with:
>
> tar -tjvf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2

$ sudo tar -tjvf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2 | grep dsp
crw------- root/audio    14,19 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp1
crw------- root/audio    14,35 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp2
crw------- root/audio    14,51 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp3

> Also, what messages do you get on bootup between "Starting udevd" and
> "Mounting /dev/pts..."
Can't see Starting udevd is dmesg or kern.log.0 will try to catch it next boot

> Do you CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y or =m in your kernel configuration?

cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SND_PCM_OSS
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y

Rebooting with these changes. I'll get back to you soon. Thanks again.

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 08:07:29 up  8:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.69, 0.66
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+