This morning I'm trying to unravel the non-clear chain of events
involved in the init scripts.  I'm getting lots of messy output from
/etc/init.d/net.lo and looking at net.lo, I'm not able to see where all
this stuff is being loaded.  I'm taling about the contents of:
`depend' for example.

There is a for loop that calls the function `depend' and when it runs I
see the output below.   More than half of this stuff isn't even
installed far as I know.  It is preventing most services from starting
by way of the normal channels although they can be started without
problems by hand and using the flags found in /etc/conf.d.

Can anyone guess what is causing this?  I did overwrite the old net.lo
yesterday with the .cfg000 after an update but the diff showed no
differences with previous one.  I still have previous one and it isn't
different.

I tried a copy of net.lo that IS different from back in Nov sometime
but it produces the same output.

The trouble must be somewhere futher up.

/etc/init.d/ntpd start

 * Caching service dependencies ...                                       [ ok ]
 * Starting eth1
 *     adsl does not support the required function provides
 *     apipa does not support the required function check_installed
 *     arping does not support the required function provides
 *     bonding does not support the required function provides
 *     bridge does not support the required function provides
 *     dhclient does not support the required function provides
 *     dhcpcd does not support the required function provides
 *     essidnet does not support the required function check_installed
 *     ifconfig does not support the required function provides
 *     ifplugd does not support the required function provides
 *     ipppd does not support the required function provides
 *     iproute2 does not support the required function provides
 *     iptunnel does not support the required function check_installed
 *     iwconfig does not support the required function provides
 *     macchanger does not support the required function check_installed
 *     macnet does not support the required function check_installed
 *     netplugd does not support the required function provides
 *     pppd does not support the required function provides
 *     pump does not support the required function provides
 *     rename does not support the required function check_installed
 *     system does not support the required function check_installed
 *     tuntap does not support the required function provides
 *     udhcpc does not support the required function provides
 *     vlan does not support the required function provides
 *     wpa_supplicant does not support the required function provides
 *       no interface module has been loaded
 * ERROR:  Problem starting needed services.
 *         "ntpd" was not started.
HOST:reader /bk/rsnap