Michael Kintzios schreef:
> . . or at least this is what I suspect being wrong:
> ========================== IDE DVD-ROM x16   /dev/hdb  660 root.cdrom
> 666.root.cdrom PHILIPS DVD8421    /dev/hda  660 root.cdrom  666
> root.cdrom ==========================
>
> ========================== cdrdao 1.2.0  /usr/bin/cdrdao  4711
> root.root   no change cdrecord 2.1  /usr/bin/cdrecord  0755 root.root
> no change ==========================
>
> This is my fstab: ========================== # DEVICES /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrw       iso9660         noauto,rw,uid=1001,user         0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660
> noauto,ro,user          0 0 ==========================
>
> BTW, when I mount the cdrw I get this message:  "mount: block device
> /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only".  This is the
> /mnt/cdrw access rights: ========================== drwx------   2
> root root   48 Nov 19 14:33 cdrom1 dr-xr-xr-x   1 suzy root 2048 Jan
> 2 19:44 cdrw ========================== (suzy is the uid=1001)  I
> would like to have the DVD mountable by other uid's too, but having
> just "user" in fstab causes problems mounting it as a simple user.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't understand what your problem is, sorry. But I think that's
because you haven't actually said what your problem is, or whether it's
with K3b or general use of the drive.

You don't mount the cd/dvd in order to write to it with K3b (or
whatever); iirc the application uses raw device access, but whether that
is correct or not, you unquestionably don't mount the device to use a
burning program. Nor do you mount the drive in order to play an audio CD
(which also uses raw device access, which requires that the device *not*
be mounted).

Second, for general use (video viewing, game playing, etc) what you most
likely want is the "users" (note the "s" at the end) option, which
allows any user to mount/unmount the drive, as opposed to just one:

from man mount:

 user   Allow  an  ordinary  user  to mount the file system.  The name
of the mounting user is written to mtab so
                     that he can unmount the file system again.  This
option implies the options  noexec,  nosuid,  and  nodev
                     (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the
option line user,exec,dev,suid).

users  Allow  every  user to mount and unmount the file system.  This
option implies the options noexec, nosuid,
                     and nodev (unless overridden by subsequent options,
as in the option line users,exec,dev,suid).

If you're trying to play a game from CD, you might also consider the
"exec" option (so that you can execute the game binary from the CD,
since as you see above, certain options are "implied" by the 'user'or
'users' options that will be enabled unless specifically disabled after
the 'user' or 'users' option).

There's also the expedient of whether your users are in the
cdrom/cdrw/dvd/whatever group, which gives them relevant access to said
drives (and whether or not certain applications are looking for members
of this group in order to enable said user to use the program). For
example, K3b can be set to only allow access to users in a specific
group, but it doesn't /have/ to be set that way.

That's about all I can tell you without knowing specifically what you're
trying to do and what exactly is going wrong (above the fact that other
users are not able to mount the drive).

HTH,
Holly