On Friday 13 January 2006 18:42, Holly Bostick wrote:

> You don't need to open Mozilla to save your email and bookmarks.
>
> They are in your profile folder:
>
> bookmarks.html (in
> ~/.mozilla/<profile_name>/<random_string>.xlt/bookmarks.html) is your
> bookmarks file
>
> and your mail is in.... well, I admit I don't quite know the exact path,
> because I am 1) a Thunderbird user (so my mail would be in
> ~/.thunderbird rather than ~/.mozilla, except that I) 2) put my mail in
> a specific folder rather than the default.
>
> But look in your ~/.mozilla/<profile_name>/<random_string>.xlt/ folder
> and see if there isn't a folder in there called "Mail", which contains a
> folder named for your pop3 server. What's in there is your mail.
>
> Just copy the whole folder somewhere, and when you get Mozilla working
> again (or switch to Firefox and Thunderbird, if you like), you can
> either drop the files right back in the new profile folder created
> (bookmarks and mail), or import them (mail), or set the mail program to
> look in the new location for mail rather than the default.
>
> Believe me, this is why I still use Mozilla-based products; I have the
> same mail and bookmarks that I had over 5 years ago, before I:
>
> 1) switched from Netscape to Mozilla
>
> 2) carried the hard drive on which the mail and other data was contained
> across the ocean in a carry-on;
>
> 3) switched from Windows to Linux (dual-boot, so the Mozilla profile
> folders were shared between both OSes)
>
> 4) switched from Mozilla to Phoenix
>
> 5) dumped Windows
>
> 6) switched from Phoenix to Firebird to Firefox, and from MozMail to
> Thunderbird.
>
> The Mozilla applications are *extremely* interoperable, and your
> personal files are very easy to manage. I back mine up all the time
> (since it's just the one folder with mail and some loose files in my
> profile).
>
> So really, you don't have to solve this first to retrieve that data.
>
> Holly

I was pretty sure they were in there somewhere and that they could be saved.
My big worry is that something !may! be corrupt and copying them over may
mess up Mozilla again.

That said, I think Mozilla is borked as a application and has nothing to do
with any user at all.  I'm wondering if my hard drive is what is causing this
but I am not getting any other errors so I'm clueless.

I may try a emerge -e world but I am moving on with the new install on my
other hard drive.  Something is going to work.

Thanks for the comment though  Holly.  If yours survived coming across the
pond, mine should be OK too.

Anybody have any new ideas?  Still curious about that emerge -e world.
Couldn't hurt.  It would just slow down my other install.

Dale
:-)

I miss Mozilla.  I think I lost my right arm.  < sniff sniff >  < wipes tears