Hi Glen Martin,

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 04:58:15PM -0800, glen martin wrote:
> #insert <obligatory_ive_looked_everywhere_i_can_think_of.h>
>
> I'm provisioning a new mail server, and have installed courier-imap with
> the related courier-authlib.  hardened profile, system pretty fully
> up-to-date.
>
> I'm attempting (or intending) to use PAM authentication.
>
> The usual IMAP testing trick of "telnet localhost 143" immediately (no
> chance to enter a command) returns. pam didn't emit any debug output ...
> I suspect it didn't get that far.
>
> # telnet localhost 143
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * BYE imaplogin expected exactly two arguments.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

i'd done the same last week and experienced the same problem. Actually I
think it were cause of different configs. (I hacked many of them and
rebuild em... at least I worked a long time to get it working)

The main fact, why it won't work on my server was that the
/etc/pam.d/imap file didn't contained the right values. So i'd changed
it to:
<snip>
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
</snip>

My system is working with that configuration. I use saslauthd as
authentication program wich refers to pam wich authenticate the user
over a mysql db with authdaemond.
At least try it with my pam configuration and if it wont work i can send
ya my whole configs.

Many greetings from Germany,

Frederic Jaeckel