On Friday 17 February 2006 23:15, Patrick Börjesson wrote:

> > an attacker does not need a place, where everybody can write. He just
> > needs SOME place, where he can write - like the home-directory of the
> > user he just corrumpted.
>
> What's to say that the only way to get access to a system is through
> hacking a user account?

if he hacks apache, he is the httpd user, if he hacks sendmail, he is 'mail'
If you are not a user, you are not logged in.
IOr in reverse, as soon, as you can do anything on a box, you are a user in
one way or another.
> Exploits have existed (and probably does, if not in older code) that
> uses /tmp, and the ability to execute things from that location, to get
> access to more privileges.
> So having /tmp mounted as noexec is a good security measure from these
> kind of exploits.

and I bet same exploits would work from /var/spool.

> > Also, he can disrupt your system, by just filling up /tmp. No code needed
> > for that.
>
> And that is the exact reason for keeping "writable by all" locations on
> separate filesystems, so that the damage can be limited and not make the
> entire system unusable if someone decides to fill up a filesystem.

if / is huge, it is much harder to fill up /tmp
And if he can fill up /tmp completly, you are hosed anyway. So having it on
its own partition does not save you from anything. It only makes it more
likely, that at some point /tmp is too small and you need to make it bigger.