On Thursday 09 Mar 2006 15:36, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > All files copy with no errors but symlinks always fail with the message:
> > symlink "/mnt/network/usr/lib/libgstinterfaces-0.8.so.0" ->
> > "libgstinterfaces-0.8.so.0.1.0" failed: Operation not supported
> >
> > I am wondering if this is a permissions problem.
> > My network usb server will not let me have a user called root so I have
> > set user paul with the 'can do anything' previlege.
> > The mount and rsync commands are using user root
>
> What file systems are involved?
> You get a similar message writing to NSFS or fat since unix like
> permisions are not supported there.
Hello Harry,
Thanks for your response.

I am mounting the network usb drive using cifs
The network storage unit is a LINKSYS Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk
Drives. I don't know what file system is used but the discs had to be
formatted by the linksys setup program. I have just looked at some files on
the backup disc and the owner and permissions seem to be intact.

This is the error when copying the Mail directory
mkstemp
"/mnt/network/home/paul/Mail/Gimp/cur/.1133608028.9158.nxwHc:2,S.CDg1dQ"
failed: Not a directory

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid

Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux