Am Montag, 27. März 2006 16:25 schrieb ext THUFIR HAWAT:
> On 3/27/06, Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Well, it seems leafnote is either _not_ up and running or not
> > listening for
> > connections on network interface lo.
>
> Pardon, I'm not understanding what you mean by network interface.

When your machine is connected to a network, it has some kind of network
interface (usually some piece of hardware). If you try to connect to
localhost, this happens via the (logical) network interface named lo (the
loopback interface), while a connection to a remote machine goes through
the (physical) network interface eth0.

> > > Why can I not telnet to my own localhost?
> >
> > Because the services you want to connect to are not available.
>
> Yes, it does, thank you.  How do I find out why they're not available,
> though?

From the other mails you have written in this thread I meanwhile know that
you're trying to start leafnode via xinetd (you should have mentioned this
right at the beginning, BTW.). So here are some questions:

Did you actually check wether xinetd is running?
If yes, did you restart it after changing its config?
Is xinetd itself configured to listen on interface lo?
Is leafnode configure to listen on interface lo (not sure it needs to when
xinetd already does)?

HTH...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111