I'm getting closer to narrowing this down.

One of the problems is that "/sbin/NVmakedevices.sh" has been yanked from me
in some nvidia ebuild update. Grr.

Do this instead:
# /etc/conf.d/local.start

# This is a good place to load any misc programs
# on startup ( use 1>&2 to hide output)

# added by DV as per some email discussion on the nVidia drivers and UDEV

  for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do
    node="/dev/nvidia$i"
    rm -f $node
    mknod $node c 195 $i  || echo "mknod \"$node\""
    chmod 0660 $node      || echo "chmod \"$node\""
    chown :video $node    || echo "chown \"$node\""
  done

  node="/dev/nvidiactl"
  rm -f $node
  mknod $node c 195 255   || echo "mknod \"$node\""
  chmod 0666 $node        || echo "chmod \"$node\""
  chown :video $node      || echo "chown \"$node\""

The module still loaded which was throwing me off. I would have expected it
not to.

So what is causing X7 to crash is when I set:

"eselect opengl set nvidia"

X won't even start (see previous emails for the errors). It wants to. The
screen goes blank and the resolution "blinks" and then crash.

But if I set:

"eselect opengl set xorg-x11"

Then X7 starts, but glxgears appears to barely move, yet it claims ~230fps
?!!?

All of this worked just fine in X6.8.

I'm using the latest 8756 version of the nvidia driver.