> More news:
>
> I successfully got GnuPG 1.9 installed, and then a new problem arose.
> Configuration.
>
> I went to http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html#gnupg and followed the
> instructions to the best of my ability, and yet I still get this:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.gnupg $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> gpg-agent[10716]: /home/lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:1: invalid option
>
> so, ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf looks like this:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
> gpg-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent
> no-grab
> default-cache-ttl 1800
>
> I'm totally stumped.  I didn't find anything in /usr/local/bin like
> kmail.kde.org said, however, /usr/bin/gpg-agent is really odd in that it's
> not actually there (I don't think - I can't cd to it):
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cd /usr/bin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/bin $ ls | find gpg-agent
> gpg-agent
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/bin $ cd gpg-agent
> bash: cd: gpg-agent: Not a directory
>
> I'm rather confused.  Any help?  I know I did something wrong, but I'm too
> close to the solution to even entertain the thought of giving up!
>
> Oh, and the dialog that prompted for gnupg 1.9, it now says that it detected
> the install but gpg-agent isn't running.  That's why I'm happy - I'm very
> very close to getting this thing to work!

I only have a couple of minutes so I apologise for not writing a
complete answer.  FWIW the gpg-agent was hard masked (yesterday?) and
just adding it to your /etc/portage/package.keywords won't work.  You
need to use package.mask instead.

However, I'm not sure why the hard masking was put in place - there
may be a good reason to stop using gpg-agent and instead switch to
another package.  What should we use instead guys?

To have gpg-agent starting automatically you need to enter  eval
"$(gpg-agent --daemon)" in the appropriate desktop manager startup
file(s).  Check the gentoo document on this topic (I can't remember if
I saw it in the wiki).  There was also an answer to one of my posts in
this mailing list on gpg.

To get it started immediately just run eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
from a terminal.

More later.
--
Regards,