Hi,

short note at the start: Don't hijack other threads (like you did
here), don't answer a mailing list mail but write a new one to the
list, when you want to start a new thread.

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:32:52 -0400 "K. Mike Bradley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why the latest Gentoo uses initramfs but it is
> loaded by GRUB using initrd?
>
> I though the initramfs was to be compressed into the kernel image?

It can be, but it hasn't to. The kernel checks a few magic bytes in
order to check whether ram disk data placed by the bootloader into
memory is actually an initramfs or a full blown initrd (which can
contain any filesystem). Initramfs is the suggested replace mechanism
and is basically a compressed cpio archive. The method how it gets into
memory when booting hasn't changed, or better: is still compatible.

-hwh