On Tue April 25 2006 14:46, John Jolet wrote:
> > I find that "rm -rf .*" works wonders for security.
>
> Now guys, someone new is going to try one of these!  :)  And we all know
> we've done that at one time or another.  Mine was "rm -fr /* filename"
>  on a running sun box. :)  during month-end processing.

Once would have been understandable, but I did mine twice (only once as
root though).  It's fun to stare at the screen wondering why it's taken 5
minutes to delete two hidden directories, followed by a scream of, "OH
SH*T!" which is immediately followed by frantically pounding ctrl-c.

Dr. Erik Zeek
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-2451

Tel: 706-542-7293
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Html:  http://www.physast.uga.edu/~zeekec
Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain.
  - Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (1801)