On Sunday 14 May 2006 20:31, maxim wexler wrote:
> Tell me about it! Have a look at #132141. I created a
> franken-kernel and their strategy seems to be to get
> me to repeat myself until I go away. I get the feeling
> they think I'm making stuff up.

no,

very obviously they try to help and YOU fail to give the information.

mount /boot
Make grub.conf point to vmlinuz
like this:

title=2.6
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 gentoo=nodevfs noexec=on
nmi_watchdog=1

for security reasons, a second entry like this is a smart idea:

title=2.6.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda3 gentoo=nodevfs noexec=on
nmi_watchdog=1

because make install copys the bzimage, renames it, adds the version to the
name, creates a vmlinuz symlink and a vmlinuz.old symlink to the old kernel
version, that had vmlinuz point to it. And it copys System.map (which is
important.

make a symlink from /usr/src/yourusedsources (like 2.6.16.14)
to /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make all modules_install install
umount /boot