On Tue, 16 May 2006 12:59:48 +0100, Stroller wrote:

> > Udev should recognise the drive and create a device node...
>
> Having spent the last hour tinkering, it seems to do so only after
> I've emerged & started coldplug. Is there anything else I should be
> doing to get udev working, or should it "just work" with current
> kernels.

That depends on your udev version. The latest ~arch udev doesn't need
coldplug (in fact, it blocks it) but earlier versions do.

> > ... but creating mount points is not udev's job.
>
> Yes, I'm not quite so fussed about that, as long as I can find the
> drive in /dev/sda
>
> What I'm having problems with right now is allowing users to write to
> the external drive.
> Is this something as simple as `chmod 777 /mnt/sda1 && chgrp users /
> mnt/sda1`?

That should work. Making directories globally writeable may not be
secure, but it's good for testing. However, using a device manager makes
life easier, as the mount point always belongs to the user running the
device manager.

> I know I can change permissions in /etc/fstab, but I don't know yet
> whether I want to add this device to there (even with the "noauto"
> option) as it won't always be connected.

With HAL/D-BUS/pmount  and KDE or ivman, you don't need anything in fstab.

> > You need a device manager for that. If
> > you use KDE, especially 3.5, it should handle it for you, provided you
> > have the hal USE flag set. With other WMs, use ivman.
>
> Thanks! I'll take a look at ivman - I want to get KDE installed on
> this machine eventually, but I really want something that'll also
> work when I'm not booting to X. Are there any downsides to using
> `ivman` with USE=-hal KDE? I guess drives mounted by ivman might not
> appear on KDE desktops, so I might be better emerging both ivman
> _and_ USE=hal KDE but putting them in different runlevels?

ivman has to run as the user, from desktop startup. I've not tried
running it without a desktop, but you could put something like 'killall
ivman' in KDE's autostart directory. then it should switch off ivman and
use its own device manager whenever you load the desktop. I don't run
without a desktop that often, not on machines that I would use with
removable devices, so I just use pmount from the command line in those
cases. pmount mounts as a user and creates the mount point, just as the
GUI device managers do.

> > ...I use this
> > rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules, but you'll need to change the
> > model_id value, unless you have the same enclosure as me.
> >
> > BUS=="ieee1394", KERNEL=="sd?1", SYSFS{model_id}=="0x008034",
> > NAME:="fwdisk", SYMLINK="%k"
>
> Running coldplug seems to have placed the drive at /dev/sda, which
> I'm perfectly happy with.

I take it you don't use USB devices at the same time. Persistent naming
makes life a to easier if you have multiple devices, especially as pmount
(and so KDE and ivman) use the device name for the mount point. Whatever
else I may have plugged in, and whatever computer I am using (my desktop
uses sda for a hard disk) my firewire drive is always mounted
at /media/fwdisk.

Anyway, I don't want removable disks having device names anything
remotely like my system disks. forgetting which computer I am using when
I type "mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1" could ruin my day :(

--
Neil Bothwick

I believe the technical term is "Oops!"