Grant wrote:
Greylisting seems to be the most effective way of eliminating unwanted
email.  The problem is that it also has the potential to eliminate a
legitimate email.  Couldn't a feature be added to greylisting software
that dispatches an email to the sender of any email that is
temporarily rejected and doesn't retry within a certain amount of
time?  The email could say something like, "Your message of {date} was
rejected as possible spam.  Please call us at {phone_number}."

- Grant

I'd just configure a retry time of something large if you're worried about it. IIRC the default is one day and you could raise it to two days on a slow system without worrying that the db is getting too large.

On the other hand it might be interesting to return an email like this:

"Hi I'm the greylisting policy server. It took your mail system 36 hours to retry. Is your email admin insane? Almost every email server in existence has reasonable defaults that your idiot decided to mess with. I highly recommend someone take a walk down to his cube and give them a good smack in the back of the head."

kashani