On 9/12/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/12/06, darren kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> system. The cpu instructions are forward (but not backward) compatible. Thus,
> I did not think it necessary for a wholesale rebuild of the entire system on
> the spot. Indeed it seems this is not as simple as I thought. I may have been
> thinking changing CHOST was as simple as changing -march or -mcpu...

Well I've brought up the issue on -dev, and it seems that something
official is in the works on this, so we'll see what comes of that.
Maybe your answer will turn out to be correct!

And indeed, the emerge -e world may in fact be optional.

A quite from the current draft of the guide [1]:

"""
- You may want to run
# emerge -e world
now. In theory it should not be necessary to do so, but it can not be
100% guaranteed that this is actually the case. ;-)
"""

I think I'd still like to see people run an emerge -e system
regardless...just as an extra safety step to make sure the system
packages are sane.  But my understanding of what can be affected by a
change in CHOST is definitely changed.

-Richard

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~amne/temp/change-chost.txt