Apparently KDE 3.5.5 and the openGL portion of the nvidia-drivers package don't get along too well.

I have a desktop and a laptop with nVidia cards. The desktop is an AMD-64 machine, but Gentoo is built on it using the athlon-xp architecture. The laptop is a Pentium 4.

On the AMD system, I had to select the xorg-x11 opengl libraries to get kdesktop and kdeartwork-kscreensaver to build. Actually, at first, I just set the use flags on kscreensaver and kdeartwork-kscreensaver to -opengl, but then Control Center crashes every time I try to configure the screensaver. There is no openGL use flag for kdesktop, so I had to use the xorg-x11 (mesa, I assume) openGL libraries just to get it to build. The error was unresolved symbols with names like "_nv001215[something]" At the moment, I am unable to use the nVidia openGL drivers that come with the nvidia-drivers package on the desktop.

On the laptop, after solving the problems with trying to build kde-3.5.5 with gcc-4.1 (emerge -ae world), kdesktop crashes when KDE is started from kdm. However, if I shut down xdm and run startx from the command line, KDE starts up and I get a desktop, but a number of KDE applications crash when I try to run them (KCrash can't seem to find kdeinit). Once again, kscreensaver crashes unless I set the openGL libraries to xorg-x11.

The only thing I have found by searching the web and the Gentoo forums about this was the suggestion to use the mesa openGL libraries to build kscreensaver. That reference suggested changing back to the nVidia libraries after building, but I can't get kscreensaver to stay alive if I do that. I would expect that to be the case anyway.

Any ideas?