On Sunday 03 December 2006 18:18, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-12-03, Uwe Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 03 December 2006 15:28, Mick wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another
> >> DVD to take with me on holiday.  I'll be playing back the copy on my
> >> laptop and (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
> >>
> >> I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn
> >> an iso image of the DVD.  After two expensive coasters (see other recent
> >> topic) I came to the conclusion that the combination of
> >> K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work.  I could start
> >> trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
> >> economic case for persevering with my coaster production.  :-(
> >
> > So far, I haven't managed to burn any DL DVD.
>
> I had a lot of trouble burning DVDs using a USB connected
> drive.  I moved the drive internal and connected it directly to
> the IDE controller and since have had no problems burning
> either single or double layer.  [IIRC, it's an vanilla OEM
> Samsung drive.]

Thanks for all the suggestions!  My Phillips DVD writer is internally mounted.
After about half way instead of flipping over and burning the second layer it
just fails with an input/output error.  I've tried my Gentoo OS and a Knoppix
CD just in case it was a matter of OS/application settings, but the same
error occurred.

I noticed that there are at least three DVD rip apps in portage:

media-video/dvdrip
media-video/acidrip
media-plugins/vdr-vdrrip

How do they compare?

Two more Qs:
Running mencoder seems to work in producing a smaller file, but it is a bit
choppy (drops frames).  Not sure what the correct options are, this is what I
have used:
=================================
mencoder vts_01_1.vob -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -alang en -oac
mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o movie.avi
=================================

If I set it to pass=2 it fails with an error about xvid: you must specify one
or a valid combination of 'bitrate', 'pass', 'quantizer' settings.  The think
is I cannot read what it says fully because the character set in my terminal
gets screwed up:
=================================
videocodec: XviD (720x576 fourcc=44495658 [XVID])
xvid: par=0/0 (vga11), displayed=1024x576, sampled=720x576
xvid: you must specify one or a valid combination
of 'bitrate', 'pass', 'quantizer' settings
ΣÏάλμα: ÎδÏναÏη η αÏÏικοÏοίηÏη ÏÎ¿Ï Î¿Î´Î·Î³Î¿Ï ÏÎ¿Ï
βίνÏεο!

 ÎξοδοÏ...
Any idea how I can fix this?

--