On 12/3/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi All,

I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another DVD
take with me on holiday.  I'll be playing back the copy on my laptop and
(if
it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.

I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn an
iso
image of the DVD.  After two expensive coasters (see other recent topic) I
came to the conclusion that the combination of
K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work.  I could start
trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
economic case for persevering with my coaster production.  :-(

So, I am now looking at alternative solutions to be able to enjoy my
movies
when on hols.  I mounted the DVD and can see a number of *.vob files only
some of which are the main film.  Saving these would be enough, if only
they
could fit in a single layer DVD.  Each of these *.vob files are approx.:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 michael users 1073684480 Dec  3 11:21 vts_01_1.vob

There are 6 of them in a video which I want to copy, but given the recent
failed attempts with burning DVD+R DLs I will have to compact them so that
they can fit in a single DVD.  I read about transcoding into mpeg4, but I
don't know what are the right options for what I want.  What would you
recommend?
--
Regards,
Mick

Hi Mick,
I'm not sure if this is what you want, but there is a tool in portage called
dvdrip, maybe that helps.
I never used it so I don't know if it will suit your needs.