On Tuesday 02 January 2007 08:50, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> I also think that emerge should keep track of the config files
> installed by packages, so that etc-update knows if you've got local
> modifications, and give you a big warning when you might lose a
> change you made.

Huh? Portage already does this. Standard config dirs are
CONFIG_PROTECTed which is where etc-update comes in. It will merge
trivial changes (whitespace, etc) and let *you* chose what to do for
everything else. You get to keep the original file, use the update, or
use a customized merge of the two.

There is no need to give you a big warning if you might lose a change -
the very act of running etc-update at all IS that warning. It's
understood that if the new file shows up, then you DO have local
modifications

alan