On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:29:12 +0300, Mike Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really think if Gentoo is going to
become a cornerstone in the desktop's replacement (like for thin clients)
then there should probably be an option for a binary 'version' of portage.
Gentoo is great in so many ways, but having to compile everything is
sometimes just very unnecessary. I mean it's great if you want to teak your
desktop, but it's just time consuming on a server or a slower embedded
machine, and worst of all there's no benefit for compiling things in those areas. The other problem thing that will hold it back, I believe anyway, is
the constant updating instead of release cycles.  This can make
administration very harsh on a system that you can only access remotely.

AFAIK Gentoo is a meta-distribution. That is, its goal is to make it easier to create other distributions. When somebody installs Gentoo, compiles packages, and uses the resulting binaries for whatever purpose, there is a possibility to wrongfully conclude that the Gentoo distribution is being used by an end user. In fact, it has been used by a distribution developer to create a customized distribution which in its own turn has been used by an end user, while the fact that the distro developer and the end user are the same person is mere coincidence.

Is it still true?

If it is still true, then why should Gentoo, as represented by its developers, care if there are any servers too busy to compile anything and too deep in production to allow for testing upgrades?

Indeed, how can Gentoo distribute binary packages when it does not know your CFLAGS and USE? One answer could be to run a server that takes CFLAGS and USE returning the resulting binary package. The server can be run by the Gentoo Foundation if it finds that the idea has business sense, but this issue is transcendental to Gentoo as a Distribution.

How can Gentoo test if an update brakes something when it does not know the state of the system before the update? Possibly it could, if the portage tree had versions and users were severely limited in what configuration changes they can do. But how is it different from creating another distribution that is just based on Gentoo like Ubuntu is based on Debian?

How
could
Gentoo increase its market share if such a potential future is to occur,
or
even better: how could Gentoo Foundation become pivotal in making it
happen
while retaining its values.

Does Gentoo Foundation need greater market share? My impression is that developers need more good developers, not home users. I do not know what the Trustees want to achieve, but I guess that influence can be measured not only in the number of users, but also by the probability that Gentoo patches are accepted upstream, the number of application developers that release ebuilds, and the number of distributions that are based on or using Gentoo (really do not know how to find out if Gentoo is used by other distribution developers).

As far as typical home users go, they don't really buy into things unless
it's easy to use.  Mainly because they are wanting a tool to accomplish a
task. If Gentoo can provide that tool, then getting it into the living room wouldn't be a big deal. As it is now, unfortunately, Gentoo is not designed to be 'easy to use' in the sense of the average user's experience. Once it
is, then it will be easier to market.  I like the ability to tinker with
Gentoo, but I just wish it wasn't a requirement to use it.

I agree that a pretty good easy to use distribution for typical home users can be built with Gentoo. I do not care if it is built or not, but if it will make Gentoo more "healthy" or pleases Gentoo developers or Trustees in whatever way, I wish it is built. I do not want current Gentoo developers to spend their valuable time building such a distribution.

--
Andrei Gerasimenko