Hello, sorry for the long wait to reply, I switched to E17 and I have the same problem
as with Gnome, still can switch to a VT...

Ifr I open a term and try the usual Ctrl + Alt + F1 to F7 key combination
I get :

PQRS;7~;7~;7~

Which I don't ever remember getting in the past. I tried killing
gnome-settings-manager but that doesn't change anything either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gabriel

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
I recently switched to ~x86 and with it to xorg 7.x.

Are you sure it's due to upgrading Xorg and not Gnome?
See  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/175870

I saw that the xkb syntax changed, so I updated it accordingly,
but now I can't switch to VT's anymore.

When using almost exactly your arrangement it works fine here.

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete+lednum(group_lock)"   };
xkb_symbols { include "pc(pc104)+us(basic)+us(intl):2+ch(fr):3+group(ctrls_toggle)+level3
(win_switch)+ctrl(nocaps)+compose(menu)+eurosign(e)"  };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"     };
};

If it's not the failing Gnome daemon, maybe it is Gnome interfering in some other way with the keyboard? Here I had to switch off all things in KDE's Control Center > Regional > Keyboard Layout to make the settings in xorg.conf work.

Benno