Vlad Dogaru ha scritto:
Hello,

I am recently growing fed up with strongly graphical applications causing my (admittedly quite old) computer to slow down to a crawl. I like the concept of Ratpoison and am thinking of switching to it, but could use a few tips for making the big change.

Buy a couple spare RAM modules. Surely I agree with your will to build a minimalistic system, this will help anyway and it's a nice experience, but RAM is quite cheap and is the magic elisir that allows outdated machines to be still usable -the CPU is rarely a problem, unless you often do something quite computationally intensive.

I am especially looking for a browser to substitute Firefox (it's great, but quite a memory hog). I like links, what with its graphical capabilities, but it lacks tabs and that's a major downside in my vision. I've tried Conkeror for Firefox, but it's too Emacs-centric (vim person here) and also disables tabs (or maybe it's me -- I couldn't get them to work).

Did you try Dillo? I don't know if it has tabs but it seems *very* lightweight. Otherwise maybe Opera? people insist in saying it's really fast and light (and has tabs:as a matter of fact, Opera invented them!), but I personally don't know.

Any other tips or nifty programs you could link me to would be greatly appreciated, especially Ratpoison-related; For instance, C-t is too RSI-prone for my taste and conflicts with Firefox's new tab button (I want to switch, but I realise fx could prove irreplaceable, mainly due to the large userbase).

Try to see what purposely lightweight distros like DamnSmallLinux, VectorLinux and Puppy Linux install by default, I think you'll have a good choice of lightweight packages. However as far as concerning ratpoison, I know nothing...

How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.

This is going to be the best sign of 2007 :) - I really appreciate this kind of approach.

m.