Vlad Dogaru ha scritto:

I have 384 megs of RAM and no imediate possibility of buying more. I realise it is arguably sufficient for many lightweight applications, but, as I mentioned, it is becoming increasingly frustrating, even with the real power of Gentoo and Fluxbox (the two have changed my life -- literally).

384 megs are low but not so bad. I did run a Kubuntu 6.06 system at work using full KDE+Firefox+Thunderbird, Gimp, Inkscape, kpdf etc. and yes, it was slow and I had to take care not to keep too much apps on at the same time (otherwise it was swap hell), but it worked.
Of course now that I added 512 mb it's much better...

I think you just have to be careful about apps, but not worry too much.

I read up on Dillo and it looks promising. I will try it. As for Opera, I used it on Windows for quite some time, but at one point I started to be annoyed by the numerous marginally useful (at least to me) features that got added. I still regard it as a great browser, comparable to Firefox, but not what I am looking for.

I'd keep firefox or opera installed as a lifeboat, anyway. Dillo and links cannot match the other two for many features you *may* have the need sometimes.

Unfortunately the other good browser I'm aware of (Konqueror) requires kdelibs, that probably you're trying to avoid...

m.