On Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:05, Sigfrido V. Ortiz C. wrote:
> Try fsck --help
> then select the options related to recovery  and repair the system
> file at least twice, then reboot your system with "shutdown -b now"
>
> Based in my experience this occur after shutdown by power fault and
> not by command.
> The format must be fsck -p -f /dev/partition_name
>
> the flag -p will repair automatically your system and the flag -f
> force the revision even the file system appear like clean.
> Good luck!!!
> Sigfrido

Hi,

Please don't top post. If you know the fsck command then you know why I
have asked this.

I wouldn't advise that the OP follows your advise - from the way he
wrote his post it is very likely he doesn't know a whole lot about
filesystems and fsck programs. So he will blindly enter your commands,
forcing an action to occur and potentially causing further loss without
him having much of a clue about what he has just done.

The force flag is useful, after you get an output from fsck and you know
what it will do and are prepared to accept the loss. jcd isn't in that
position.

jcd, what you should do is gather information about what happened and
try figure it out. If you can't, lots of people here will decrypt it
for you (as much as possible) then tell you what to do and explain what
will happen as a result.

The golden rule: don't ever run a file system checker blindly without
some understanding of what it's doing.