Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:30:23 -0600
> Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed?  I did a google search for uucp
>> and group and it was interesting.  It seems this is the norm now.
>> When I added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem
>> of having to fax something as root instead of a user.  ;-)  Learn
>> something every day.  I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going
>> to like this change.  Add nut to the group to I guess.
>>
>> Well, now we know huh?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  I better watch the rules update next time.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
>>

> FWIW, it was kind of a PITA to set up dialup in a secure way for
> multiple users to use with traditional UNIX permissioning.  The
> reorganization of groups, if it deals with that ugliness (visit
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#Winmodems_with_Lucent_Apollo_.28ISA.29_and_Mars_.28PCI.29_chipsets
> to see for yourself what I mean) I say, it's worth a bit of
> reorganization of users.

I also went diggin in the groups file, there is a dialout group in there
that *should* address this.  I mentioned in a early reply that this was
likely a security thing.  Your link seems to show that it is that.  What
I can't figure out is why no one warned us?  I only use Linux and only
have one puter that connects to the net so if I didn't know to check the
permissions of the modem, I could have been stuck.  Plus, I did get that
error about my UPS.  That was really helpful there.  It actually showed
me the permissions were wrong and I noticed they were changed from what
they used to be.

I also notice there is no mention of the uucp group in the link.  It
does mention using the group ppp but not uucp.  Anyway, I plan to watch
those udev config updates closer next time.  They have always worked
before but I learned that *may* not always be true.

Thanks for the info.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967