Peter Alfredsen wrote:
On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Philip Webb wrote:

which does not offer any helpful advice.
There are no bugs answering to 'Epiphany freeze' or 'Konqueror freeze'.

I'm using Kernel 2.6.18-gentoo, KDE 3.5.6 , Epiphany 2.16.3 & Xorg-x11 7.1
. Otherwise, my system is very stable & problem-free.

I'm experiencing something similar at equally random intervals. I have had maybe 3 of these freezes since the end of December. I am reasonably sure it is not memory, since I have emerge -e world 3-4 times since then (don't ask) and I have never had any unreproducible gcc errors. At one time I had a routine that helped me replicate the problem (now I just avoid it): Go to forums.gentoo.org, grab a thread with massive posts. Click-drag a link quickly in circles. Boom! The last freeze I had was last week, when I had 10 Konqueror windows open with on average 3 tabs each. Rtorrent was running in the background and suddenly my system deadlocked. I could still move the mouse but I couldn't click on anything. I suspect that if I could bother to write down the magic SYSRQ keys, I would be able to do a clean reboot. The program I suspect is Konqueror (probably bad interaction with fglrx), since that is always open. I also always have Kmail, Konversation, Akregator, AmaroK, rtorrent and Kate running, though.

AMD Athlon 2500+
Ati X800 fglrx AGP
1 GB ram
~X86
Kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r4 (waiting for someone to make a stable .20)

Have you tried a 2.6.20 kernel just for grins (taking note of "waiting for someone to make a stable .20" )? I experienced various lockups / freezes with 2.6.19 that seem to have left me when I went to 2.6.20. I was getting various timeouts on my ata controller that show in the logs as the source of the freezes. Of course I run ck-sources, so I don't know if the problem existed with the kernel itself or the ck patches. My freezes would occur in firefox mostly of course I am almost always browsing the Internet for something.

Of course, I just joined the gentoo-user mailing list today so forgive me if this was already mentioned.