On Montag, 2. April 2007, b.n. wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
> >>
> >> Stable release? AFAIK, *all* 2.6.x releases are stable releases.
> >
> > No, they aren't. There are the 'normal' releases (for example 2.6.20) and
> > the 'stable' releases which fix important bugs and security holes (like,
> > for example 2.6.20.2).
>
> Yes, I know that. I didn't call them "unstable" and "stable", that's why
> I was confused, however I know.
> Now my questions are:
> 1)I only see gentoo-sources-2.6.X-rY, I never see
> gentoo-sources-2.6.X.a.b-rY .What am I installing when I install
> gentoo-sources-2.6.x-rY?

look into the changelogs ;)
I don't use gentoo-sources, but AFAIK, the -rX releases are related to the
vanilla .X releases.

> 2)How do the binary distribution people cope with this?

backporting patches. That is why you get kernels named '2.6.17-201' and stuff
like that.

> >> The
> >> days of double trees (2.4.x and 2.5.x) are gone.
> >
> > Today we have at least 4 trees.
> > Linus.
> > Morton.
> > The 'stable releases' (2.6.XY.Z)
> > Bunk's 2.6.16.XY
>
> Well, there have ALWAYS been a lot of different trees, but Morton, for
> example, AFAIK is not an "official" tree (although it is maintained
> closely to the official).

It is the official testing tree. Every new feature and lots of patches and
drivers have to 'mature' in Morton's tree - and he decides, together with the
maintainers, which stuff goes to Linus.