On 2007-04-04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
>
> Why does the damned thing default to thinking I want blaring bizarre
> colors scattered all over my screen?

Yea, nothing is quite as readible as yellow or bright green on
a white background.  I hate color output.  I'm completely
baffled that anybody thinks it should be the default.

> I CAN'T EVEN DISABLE IT BY SETTING TERM TO vt100.
>
> And if ALL THESE CAPS distress you and you think I am shouting, well
> goodness gracious, NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT COLORIZATION RUN AMUCK.

Worse than emerge is that ls and other more commonly used
utilities all default to utterly-illegible mode on Gentoo.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Eisenhower!! Your
                                  at               mimeograph machine upsets