On 4/14/07, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Thanks :-) And now, here I stand corrected: The thread has actually
> become a cultural excercise and social mailing list event! Maybe we
> even make it into the GWN: "Big outing party on gentoo-user" or
> similar ;-)

OH YES :)

> OK, I hope I adhere to the auto-adjusted standard for writing one's
> Gentoo/Linux/Computing history ;-) :

Damn, so far your story is the msot similar to mine. Please, fellow
gentooers, allow me to extend my
bio, while quoting Hans:

> I'm at the end of 26, using Linux since about 1996 (there was this
> Corel Linux distribution on some magazine's cover CD...), quickly

I'm in the middle of 25, using linux since about 1994 (there was this
minilinux.zip 11MB file on
some BBS...), quickly chosing Slackware (from the famous Infomagic's Linux
Developer Resource CD
sets, I got like 4 of them), then SuSE. I never liked Debian. I used SuSE
without YaST.

I was worn 8/2/82 (yes, at 23:32, lots of mathematical bizarreness here,
most numbers in my life
have to do with 2 and 8 :P)
I started programming at the age of 8, in a Commmodore 64 my biological
father had. Then he left,
and until 10/11 years old I couldn't get my own computer. I still remember
saving every penny I
could. In the end I got a 80286, 20/25Mhz, no HD, and 5 1/4" floppy for
AR$ 6.200.000 (like USD 620
at that time) in 1990, 1991... I continued programming (although I did at
primary school, and the
teachers insisted on my mom to get me a computer): more quickbasic, then
turbo pascal. I wrote my
first BBS for MS-DOS in Turbo Pascal 7.0. I remember using the TurboPower
COMM libraries for it
(incidentally, my best friend in USA was one of the top programmers at
TurboPower...). A couple of
years later, I got the minilinux, then full Slackware. That's when I
decided to get my own telephone
line ("Mom, PLEASE, PLEASE, let me have my BBS! I won't dial other
BBSes!"), and started writing a
new, from scratch, BBS system: multiuser, it had instant messaging,
tree-based forums, file
attachments, private email and multiuser conference, anybody wants the
source?). It was my first
stake at C. Learning C AND Linux at the same time, at that time, provided
LOTS of OS knowledge. I
still fix most things by [spl]tracing to find out bugs, or by writing
interposers, etc.

I was starting secondary school and decided to study electronics. That's
where assembler started. I
was bad with soldering, but good at microcontrollers :P. Although I
already knew about secure
coding, learning how to write an exploit helped a lot.

As I was interested in Security I never dropped other OSes 100%. Of
course, all my servers run
Linux, but at home I had Microsofts' OSes and other stuff, mainly for
research purposes. I work and
play and everything under Linux.

> At the age of 15, I felt in love with the FIDO-Net (I was
> 2:240/6010.29, later 2:240/9301.29), only to dump my first registered
> shareware, CrossPoint, a few months later when the internet was
> starting to make its first steps in the private sector in germany.

I was a fido point! 4:900/748.3. I was a node for 3 other networks too
(Music & Sound, Desertic and
another I can recall the name).

> Now, I earn my little money with programming (just boring web stuff)
> and administration, while studying law (funny choice given the
> background, eh?).

Now, I earn my little money with consulting, programming (just boring
systems stuff :P) and
administration, while playing punk-pop with my band (PLUG! PLUG
www.purevolume.com/futurabandapunkpop everything released in creative
commons license) and I never
went to university.

In .ar I wrote many articles in different magazines, given talks on
security, programming and FLOSS,
I was 6 months in one of Cable tv's most famous technology programms
[yeah, talking and everything],
and had the chance of meeting Vinton Cerf (I had a nice talk with him,
told me I was just a living
example of why he created internet. I still have wet dreams about that.),
Richard stallman, Jon
"maddog" Hall, Roger Dingledine from the TOR project, and many other
hackers while giving a speech
about covert channels in the Bolivian hacker conference. That's as far as
I got from Buenos Aires.

Basicly, this story is a big thank you for the GNU project, Linus Torvalds
and BIG TEAM, and
everyone else that contributed to what I've been using since the beginning
to become what I'm now. A
big geek with a potential rfc in his hands. :P

Somebody kick me.

- --
Arturo "Buanzo" Busleiman - Consultor Independiente en Seguridad
Informatica
Foros GNU/Buanzo: Respeto, Soluciones y Buena Onda:
http://foros.buanzo.com.ar
Consulting and Secure Mail Hosting: http://www.buanzo.com.ar/pro/