Hi all,

Well, I'm almost there, but still need some guidance.

> Colleen said the screen was "garbled" - doesn't seem to be an out of
> range problem. Probably it would be best if Colleen attached or linked
> to Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf and maybe kernel output [if that kernel
> recompilation didn't fix the problems of course].

Okay, the installation of kde went fine.  However, when I'm presented
with the login screen for my user id, I get the message:

Could not start kstartupconfig.  Check your installation.

I'm not sure why this is happening.  Before adding xdm to the default
runlevel, if I typed 'startx' as the root user, kde started up fine and
started the wizard to configure kde.

I don't know if it's relevant, but my home directory is on another
partition, but the passwd file looks okay in this regard.

However, if I exit the xsession - i.e. at the kde login screen select
console login or do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the xsession, the text is
still all garbled.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Colleen