Hi everybody

Well the xorg server downgrade did not help either, so I abandon the cloesed source drivers from Ati
and went on to try to install my S3 onboard savage  graphic processor.

This work almost instantly without any problems except for the fact that I experienced a lot of areas on the screen that was updated out of sync with the rest of the screen.

Deciding that I could not work with that I tried the open source drivers for the ati card.

I followed this guide: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers

and added these lines to my make.conf:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="savage radeon"

reinstalled my x-server and tried to start x.

This failed.

I then spent one hour or so tweaking xorg.conf and about 10 minutes ago
I finally found a combination that seems to work.

I still can't get max resolution for my monitor (1920*1200) but everything
else seems to work to a degree that I can live with for now.

Thanks for all the pointers and advices. It's very nice to have a community
to help when you stumble along with your Linux installation.

Joe

Francisco Rivas wrote:
Johannes,

It is a good idea try with other version of the xorg. please post something about your experience.

    Currently I'm supporting the theory that Young Sun is right, and that
    the problem is the version of Xorg.

    Tomorrow I will try to uninstall the compiled drivers from ati and
    try
    the open source drivers. If that doesn't work
    I'm feeling inclined to buy a new nvidia card instead.

    Maybe I could also try to make the onboard S3 savage card  work,
    although I have never been a big fan of
    graphic cards with shared memory.

    Thanks again for all the help....

    Johannes