Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>   1) Yes, it's REALLY locked up.  But there's always enough CPU
> left for a non-X login from another machine.

This kind of lockup is usually an error in the video driver,
forgetting to drop a software lock after some operation and then on
the next operation waiting endlessly for the lock to be dropped.
Or it gave the video chip a wrong command that never ends, while
holding a software lock.  In this latter case restarting X probably
won't help, as the video chip is deaf.

>   2) I have no clue how to find out what's causing the lockup.
> I'd love to, because I usually lose a bunch of work in the crash.

Check your video driver and see if there's a newer version
available.

Benno