On 7/5/07, Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
As I wrote in my first answer to this thread (which somehow didn't make it
to the list, yet), the problem is (IMHO) with /boot not beeing mounted at
all.

Yes, if you followed the Gentoo install instructions closely /boot is
not mounted during normal operation, so if you install a new kernel it
will write /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) to your root
partition, not your boot partition.  Grub is instructed to use (hd0,0)
or whatever your particular boot partition is, so it's not going to
see the /boot directory on your root partition - mount /boot and
re-install the new kernel version and it'll probably boot fine.  Then
you can clean up the version of /boot that's on your root partition
(verify that /boot is not mounted first!).