On 7/18/07, Alex Schuster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Another method, which I would use, would be to change your CFLAGS to what
you would like for the new processor, but use mtune= instead of march=.
This will also optimize for the cpu, but the code will run on any x86
CPU. emerge world --emptytree to re-compile everything, then switch your
hardware. This will give you flexibility, at the cost of lesser
optimization. Depends on how you use your system, most applications will
not show a noticeable speed ddifference I guess.
You could also change to march= later, when the system ist up, and
re-compile everything again to get full optimization.

Oh, that's good to know, I guess that's the best option, since after
the system is up and running I can do whatever optimizations it needs,
as long as I'm able to boot and work with it in the new hardware.

Tonight I'll start the (long and boring) process of recompiling the
whole stuff with "-mtune" instead of "-march".

Thanks to all that replied so far... Maybe more suggestions comming?!

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil