Hi.  I'm sorry for the late response but the following will hopefully
clear up some things.

I am out of town all this week and all next week.  I have no access to
Gentoo's servers and limited access to the Internet.  On top of that I
am *very* busy ATM.

There is a problem with the site that affected its operation.  Since I
could not be contacted a decision was made to shut down
packages.gentoo.org.  I was not/could not be available for that decision
and I apologize.

I also have had limited contact with other Gentoo devs.  I'm told that
most of the infra- group is away at LWE.  So we are pretty short-staffed
ATM.  Most people should be back next week and It should be pretty
speedy to get the site back up but the issue now is that I'm not able to
work on it myself and others who can are also unavailable.

This has nothing to do with Gentoo dying.  I've been using Gentoo since
2003 and it seems like, at least since Daniel Robbins left the first
time, at least once a month someone speculates that Gentoo is dying.
This can mean one of two things: either this has to be one of the
slowest deaths ever or perhaps we should see another doctor for a second
opinion.  Not to worry we have a plot reserved next to OS/2 :-).  A down
web site does not indicate that a distro/organization/person is dead.
It does, however, indicate that maybe we as an organization need to get
our ducks better aligned.  When you go to gentoo.org and start getting
"No such domain" then you can start worrying.*

Again, I apologize for the outage.  We'll be back online next week and
hopefully after that we'll have a better way of dealing with issues like
this when they arise. So please have patience with us.

--
Albert W. Hopkins

* Actually this is not true either.  I once worked for a company with
over $3 billion U.S. in revenue that "forgot" to renew its domain name
registration and so was "offline" for a day and a half.  Lucky for us
its Internet presence is not a major source of revenue.