Am Donnerstag 23 August 2007 19:14:12 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> Hello James,
>
> > Googling mostly reveals suggestions about file system
> > being corrupt. I ran file system chekcs (reiserfsck)
> > per previous instuctions and /boot and / come back
> > clean and happy.
>
> If you must use reiserfs on /boot (it's a complete waste of space, ext2
> is more sensible), you must mount it with the notail option. GRUB cannot
> read files from a tail-packed Reiser filesystem.

You do not only need to mount it with notail, you need to write all files with
notail in the first place.

So ...
1. boot from CD
2. mount -o notail /dev/hda1 /mount/gentoo
3. tar czf /tmp/boot.tar.gz /mount/gentoo/*
4. rm -rf /mount/gentoo/*
5. tar xzf /tmp/boot.tar.gz -C /mount/gentoo/

Or you switch to ext2 because you do not need a filesystem with journal on a
partition that doesn't need to be bigger than 50MB.