Am Dienstag, 4. September 2007 schrieb ext Remy Blank:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Why do you make such a big deal of not using LVM? It achieves
> > everything you want to, and more, without the compromises.
>
> There's one thing that has prevented me from ever using LVM: the need to
> have an initrd (or initramfs).

There is no need to have an initramfs unless you put / on an LV.

> From what I remember, this has always
> required manually copying some utilities like the LVM tools to the
> initrd (or writing a script that does it), and remembering to do it
> every time I update one of the tools, and not to forget copying all
> required libraries as well, and so on.

I could send you a script. And no, it doesn't harm if you forget to update
the stuff in the initramfs.

> OTOH, I have stopped looking at solutions that need an initrd quite some
> time ago, so things might be easier nowadays. How do you manage your
> initrd?

With a simple self written script that copies the needed tools to a
directory used by the kernel build.

> Do you even need one?

Yes, I do. Because I have / on a logical volume which may (in case of a
laptop) also be encrypted.

> And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition

You should refresh your memory, then :-) Those times are long over.

> But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above!

Done (partly) :-)

> This would
> certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time.

Do it right, then - use EVMS *SCNR*

> It really seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have
> seen with static partitions.

It doesn't just seem so. It is.

Bye...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111