On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 12:19:29PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Remy Blank wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > > What you can't do, and to my knowledge no regular fs can do, is to
> > > *reduce* a mounted partition
> >
> > But who would want to do that? I always need *more* space, not less
> > ;-)
>
> emerged openoffice lately? :-)
>
> It pretty much always fails if you have <5G in /var/tmp/portage. On a
> laptop, that's 8% of my total disk space just sitting there free
> waiting for the day I emerge openoffice again. Umounting /var to reduce
> it is such a huge pita that I made /var/tmp/portage a separate volume
> and now reduce it at will.

  Drifting back onto the thread topic (is that allowed here<g>?) having
/var use part of a common pool (what's left over after swap and a 500
meg / partition) avoids that problem altogether, rather than band-aiding
it.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?