On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:56:09AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> How is this better than a 500G filesystem mounted at /?

  Try wiping the OS and re-installing (or installing a different distro
for that matter) with "a 500G filesystem mounted at /"... without
backing up your data and restoring afterwards.  With my setup, wipe all
files in the /partition and in the bindmounted directories, leaving the
empty directories, and do the install.

> 2. Please explain in detail how you will create a 4TB file system
> without LVM. This is NOT an edge case, this is a very real situation
> that occurs in data centres daily.

  I repeat again, I was talking about a 500 gig system on a home
machine.  I acknowledge that one size does not fit all, and an average
home machine solution does not necessarily work in a data centre.

> 3. Take your proposal and explain to me in detail how you will
> prevent a backdoor or trojan from installing and executing scripts
> in /tmp and /var. Considering the massive problem that Windows has
> caused the world through an inability to do this, I would say this
> is a very important thing to be able to.

  If a trojan can install stuff in a directory owned by root, it's
already too late.  And remember that a regular user account can run mail
to send spam, or ping or DNS lookups to take part in DDOS attacks.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?