Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Gentoo it's easy to get away with not using an initramfs. Everything
> is built from source and you roll your own kernel so we don't need to
> jump through the boot time hoops that a binary distro must to be able
> to support everything and boot.
>
> You will always have a pretty good idea how much space / needs, it
> contains /bin, /sbin, /etc, /root and /lib. Unless oyu are in the habit
> of storing stuff in /root, 500M is plenty. So put / on a regular
> partition, everything else in LVM and your initramfs worries go away.

Ok, I was suspecting that putting / outside of LVM might be the
solution. Thanks for confirming.

> The only case I can think of that *requires* initramfs right now is
> booting off a raid device

Strangely enough, I am currently booting from a software raid device, so
you don't need an initramfs for that either.

>> And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition,
>
> balls. ext2online and resize2fs have been resizing ext3 partitions for
> ages. You can extend a mounted partition with ease and in safety.

Have you ever tried pulling the plug while a resize operation was in
progress? I guess I'll have to test this myself, as my data is valuable
enough to me that I won't just believe what I read.

I wasn't aware of ext2online. Doesn't it require a kernel patch? Is it
integrated in gentoo-sources? The homepage seems to indicate that it
hasn't been updated since 2000.

> What you can't do, and to my knowledge no regular fs can do, is to
> *reduce* a mounted partition

But who would want to do that? I always need *more* space, not less ;-)

> Why would lvm not be on your rescue disk? That's just a silly excuse.
> What would you do with a reswcue disk that doesn't have fdisk on it?
> You'd throw it away and get a different one.

Well, I haven't spent much time looking at rescue CDs, I have always
used Knoppix up to now and it has been good enough. I'll just check that
recent LVM tools are on it.

>> But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above! This would
>> certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time. It really
>> seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have seen
>> with static partitions.
>
> You are imagining problems where none exist :-)

Not quite. I have a memory of problems that have existed but thankfully
have been fixed since.

Anything special if I put the LVM over a software raid?

-- Remy