Hi,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:59:03 +0200
Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll attach relevant ifconfig, route and iptables -L output.

Hm, OK. This:
----snip----
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  10.8.0.1             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             10.8.0.1
DROP       all  -- !10.8.0.1             anywhere

is on what computer? On the "server" (I guess it's the router) the last
line would effectively prevent routing for the client (but I don't know
why ICMP works...). I would suggest starting without it and then
setting up proper rules -- and then setting the chain's policy to DROP
(plus some REJECT rules for proper answers).

Dan's hint is also worth investigating.
BTW: use route/ifconfig/netstat/iptables' "-n" switch to make analysis
easier!

-hwh