Hi,

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:38:26 +0200
Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now the kernel can handle connection state matching :)
>
> I can apply your rules with one exception:
> iptables -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> The same error message as before.

But a different cause: My brain ;-)  That should rather read
$ iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
(I forgot the "-t nat")

There is, however, a kernel configuration needed for masquerading, too
(CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE on newer kernels, you can search for it
-- or just "MASQUERADE" on older kernels -- using the "/" key in the
kernel's menuconfig). So if iptables keeps complaining, check that too.

BTW: I'm starting to really hate the HOWTO that much that I might even
consider editing it. The HOWTO got this command wrong as well: It
MASQUERADEs the connections going out to the LAN interface...

For a proper durable setup, after performing all steps manually until
you have iptables in the way, you should issue
$ /etc/init.d/iptables save
and have iptables fire up using rc-update, if not yet done. Also put
the sysctl setting in /etc/sysctl.conf. Then routing/masquerading will
be set up right on each boot.

-hwh