071002 Jed R. Mallen wrote:
> Do you guys have a trick that will update a new kernel quickly?

Copy  .config  from the previous  /usr/src/linux/  to the new one,
run 'make xconfig' & tell it to load the  .config  you copied.
That will keep all your previous settings,
but allow you to react to new features of the new kernel.
'Save' when you're satisfied -- you mb quicker than me at that (smile) --
& compile & test the new kernel as usual (I spend  c 60 min  on configure).
I tried 'make oldconfig' & found it a problem
because there was no help readily available,
whereas 'xconfig' has a whole panel on the screen showing relevant help,
while also allowing easy re-use of your previous  .config  (as above).
Of course, always keep  >= 1  previous kernel available for emergencies.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]